Thursday, September 18, 2008

FSU college essay

I truly believe that the FSU Almar Mater, “Vires, Artes, Mores,” embodies all aspects of my life. “Artes,” is communicated through my love and passion for photography. I adore trying to understand the emotions displayed in others' works. For me, photography is my own unique form of expression. I love seeing the beautiful, vibrant colors in a flower, but also the shadows and shades of a grungy alleyway. My mood can be so affected by art, that when not surrounded by nature or beautiful colors, I find myself a totally different person. In viewing the world through a lens, a camera protects you from the bleakness of the life surrounding you, yet it lets you capture the beauty that may only present itself for a moment and then disappear. Another way I express my creativity is through designing. I have created or altered many articles of clothing to show my own personal style.
Though I’m nontraditional by nature, “Mores” presents itself through my love of family traditions and they way they’ve molded me. Getting together as a whole family in Arizona for Thanksgiving, or just my parents and I around a small table on Sunday nights, we all take a second to look around and appreciated how lucky we are.
Not only do these get-togethers have awesome food, but they are filled with stories about embarrassing moments, joyous times, or even sad periods of life showing me how much my family sticks together. To me, this is very important because having those close relationships is what will get you through all curve balls life throws at you.
The physical strength of "Vires," depicts itself in my dedication to the Varsity Volleyball team for four years and the travel volleyball team for three. Because of volleyball, I've learned to stick to something no matter how hard it gets and to make sure that I’m enjoying something I spend so much time doing. Also I've had to play a leadership role on the court depicting not only physical strength but also emotional strength keeping a positive attitude even when we're losing 23-10 and the game is pretty much over. Making jokes or dancing throughout timeouts to keep the team’s spirits high and everyone laughing, many have said that I’m more entertainment on the sidelines then on the actual court.

1 comment:

APLITghosts said...

staci did this too. did she swipe the idea from you or you from her, or is it new to both of you. did you know? knew? - elmeer